Monday, January 12, 2009

Daily Amy: New and GREAT Interview



Amy Winehouse took some time off from her vacation in St. Lucia to give an interview to newsoftheworld.co.uk. And for once, its an uplifting happy Amy. What a great interview! Here is the article in full:



Dressed in her familiar holey black vest, hotpants and no shoes, Amy Winehouse swings her bare feet onto a chair on the hotel’s terrace and says:
“I love it here and have never felt so happy. In fact I don’t think I’m ever going home. I was supposed to go last week but I thought fuck that, I’m staying! Especially as I met Josh here. He couldn’t be more different from my husband, which is not a bad thing. Blake looks like me, a right mess. But Josh is all handsome and clean and that’s what I love about him. People might think we haven’t got anything in common but I get on like a house on fire with all his family despite them being so posh. When I’m with Josh I don’t need drugs to feel good because he makes me feel so amazing.”
She then leans forward and whispers cheekily: “We just had sex. . . can’t you tell?” And, in one of the rare moments she ever mentions her husband, Amy reveals: “Blake was rubbish in bed. Do you know what? Almost every time I slept with him it was like I was dead. I don’t know what’s going on with us now and for the time being I’ve just forgotten I’m even married. I’m just here on my own, happy and having a good time with Josh. I’ll deal with Blake when I get back. But our whole marriage was based on doing drugs. So being with someone like Josh is much better for me.”

Leaning back and drawing deep on one of the endless Marlboro Light cigarettes she scrounges off hotel guests, Amy adds: “Before I came out here I looked at a photo of myself in the newspaper and was horrified. My skin was a spotty mess and I was so pale and skinny. I thought to myself, ‘Girl, you got to sort yourself out or you’ll be dead soon.’ I was depressed, doing drugs and had no life in me at all. Coming here has changed everything. We’re having a great time together along with all Josh’s family and friends and I just don’t want the holiday to end. Home is hell for me. I’ve escaped from it. There are drugs everywhere. I can’t do anything without everyone thinking I’m off my head on drugs, although half the time they were right, I WAS. But here I feel so calm and peaceful and for the first time I can definitely say I AM off the drugs. I haven’t touched anything since I arrived and I feel the best I have in years.”

Amy then adds: “It’s like I’ve stepped onto a new planet and nothing can harm me here. At home I seem to get in with the wrong people and just get myself in trouble. Yes I’ve been getting pissed drunk here but, compared to the states I get into back in London, this is the best behaved I’ve been in years. That’s why I came here and it’s worked a treat. That’s why I keep extending my stay. Look at me, I’m a different person. For the first time in my life I’ve got a suntan, although to be honest most of it is fake. I can’t stop slapping it on. I’ve been eating non-stop because the food’s so great here and now I’ve got some meat on my bones. And I’ve even done some exercise, although that was only learning how to do the trapeze at the circus school they have here. You should see me, I’m fucking great at it. You wouldn’t believe I could ever walk in a straight line on a rope, but I can! I’ve even been in the ocean. A few months ago I wouldn’t have dreamed of it because I wouldn’t have wanted to get my beehive wet. But now I’ve got my new short haircut and I feel like a new woman. Before I got here I was just like a zombie most days. But here I’ve got new zest for life as I’m off the drugs. All I’ve done is read books, sunbathe and drink cocktails. But it’s made me feel like concentrating on my career again. Most nights I’ve done a few songs on the piano for a laugh but I’m starting to think about recording again. I want to capture how happy I am right now in some new songs.”

Spending time with Amy is like coping with a hyperactive child. She never sits still and rabbits on, hardly stopping to draw breath. During one evening she changed her outfit twice and the following day changed her bikini FOUR times. However you cannot help to love Amy, she is if nothing - a lot of fun.

On Wednesday night Joshua’s grandmother gets the attention when Amy sits on her knee and takes to the piano for the THIRD time. “I love this woman like she’s my own nan!” declares Amy as she covers her in kisses, something she has a tendency to inflict on most of her fellow guests. Then in her instantly recognizable husky voice Amy sings Puppy Love, Cry Me A River and The Long And Winding Road as she plays the piano. Three hours of drinking cocktails have certainly taken their toll, however as Amy has shown before, even drunk she is an amazing vocalist. Several times Amy just stops mid-song and shouts: “Oh fuck! I don’t even know this one!”

Understandably she is not a hit with scores of other guests who came for a quiet break. Earlier this week Amy narrowly escaped being arrested when she threw a drink over one 27-year-old woman—a bride who was on her honeymoon! “I admit I did throw a glass of water over her,” she says. “I got confused and thought she’d been glaring at me that afternoon. But it turns out it wasn’t her at all—she was just trying to enjoy her honeymoon. She went mad and I don’t blame her. But I went over and apologised later. And if that’s the worst that’s happened I’m not complaining. For me, that’s being as good as gold!”

No comments: