Thursday, August 28, 2008

M.I.A. pulls a Jay Z


Thank God M.I.A. is pulling a Jay Z, and coming out of her so called "retirement" after only 2 months. She proclaimed retirement at the Bonaroo Music Festival earlier this year. However, since the festival, she has receieved some high spikes in sales. Her song "Paper Planes" was featured in the Pineapple Express trailer, and since then the single has risen to the top 10 on iTunes, as well as her her second album Kala. These are the biggest sales for M.I.A. her career to this point. She has never sold well, but has always receieved critical acclaim. So now, because of the success, she is changing her tune. She tells entertainment weekly:
"Well, [Bonaroo] it was my last ever show. And it still is. I stopped touring after that and I didn’t want to make music again. I was quite happy to just leave it all behind. I was happy with what I had achieved. Now, with the success of “Paper Planes,” there’s pull for me to make another record. Even my mum believes in me more [laughs]. It’s a nice encouragement. But I was planning my life as a fishing woman on the outskirts of Cambodia. That’s a joke. I will be making more music."

She doesn't sound too thrilled. But who cares - I want another M.I.A. album!

No comments: