Friday, October 3, 2008

The VP Debate - my thoughts


So last night was the much hyped Vice Presidential debate. And, no shock to me, it was watched by 33% more people than the presidential debate. Why? Obviously because people want to tune in to watch Sarah Palin make a fool of herself. She is, reguardless of what side you stand on, the brunt of everyones jokes right now .. and rightfully so. The two took to the pulpit - and here were my thoughts on each.

JOE BIDEN
Is it just me, or is he a substantially better speaker than Obama? As an avid Hillary supporter, it has been hard for me to switch camps and jump on the Obama bandwagon. I have done that however, first because I just want a democrat to win, and secondly I tend to agree with him on 90% of the issues. However, I have yet to see him be a stellar speaker. He says good things, sure. But I am sometimes left less than excited after listening to him speak. And in the presidential debate last week, of which he did an okay job, he flubbed some of his best lines. (He was still leaps and bounds better than the nations great great grandfather McCain). However, Biden speaks clearly, passionately, and had me very engaged throughout the entire debate. He stayed with facts. Which is the best way to go. He attacked John McCain rather than Governor Palin (which strategically I guess was the better move, but I wanted him to rip her a new asshole). And more so important and shockingly, he appealed more with his personality and his personal stories than Palin, who's shtick seems to be "Gosh darn, I am just like all of you!" He teared up when talking about his family (his wife and 2 children died in a plane crash) and how he single handedly had to raise his surviving children. He told personal stories about his home town and friends and neighbors who are worried about the future of the economy, all without sounding like a fake or fraud. I think he won this debate hands down. I actually would rather see him debate McCain than Obama.

SARAH PALIN
Most of you who read this blog, know that I think Sarah Palin is a disgrace to politics - and maybe even the human race. However, I will say this. She didn't fail as much as I would have liked her to last night. That being said -- as long as she stood up straight and didnt drool or cry, I think most people would call it a victory for this woman. Afterall this is the same woman who couldnt think of a single Supreme Court decision (besides Roe V Wade of course, which she is against yet says she is a feminist). Also she couldn't name one single magazine or paper that she reads news in (both of these instances on her horrible series of interviews with Katie Couric). She was so low in people's eyes that the fact that she could even string together sentences make people congradulate her with praises of a job well done. Well I will not go that far. She was a disaster! Had it been any other politician - today they would be blasted left and right by the media. But because its Palin (maybe because shes a woman, or so naive, or so "sweet") people are cutting her slack. I won't. She answered about 30% of the questions given to her. She didn't even attempt to stay on topic the entire evening. She used the phrases 'hockey mom', 'joe six pack', 'gosh darnit', 'dog gone' right' and other idiotic sayings all evening. She seemed to once again rely on her "golly gee's" to get herself out of tough questions. She cited wrong facts left and right. An important question to ask is, are people letting her slide on this debate because she is a woman? I would say yes. Consider Hillary Clinton. She stormed through every debate in the primary season and was slammed by both republicans and anti-Hillary democrats. Now compare her performance to Palin's. Whereas people called Hillary evil they are calling Palin's work a "job well done". Im sorry. Hillary could mop the floor with her. Joe Biden did mop the floor with her. Hell, .... I could mop the floor with her.

Job NOT well done Sarah. John McCain and the republican party should be ashamed of you. But thank you for joining the ticket so that my candidate has a better shot.

No comments: